I went on bed rest at 23 weeks pregnant and kept the boys safe in the womb until 33 weeks 5 days. Not too bad for 10 weeks of preterm labor, full on labor twice and then came day I developed pre-eclampsia and had to deliver the boys via c-section. All of the pregnancy symptoms, road blocks, bed rest and the month spent in the hospital on bed rest seem so long ago and a memory that isn't mine. The instant I met the boys all of those things seemed so irrelevant and worth the fight.
The boys are about a week old here.
Oliver was released from the NICU at three weeks old. We thought both boys would be coming home together, but Elliot had other plans. Elliot decided he wanted to stay a few more weeks and he was released at 7 weeks old. As I walked down the hallway of the NICU I thought to myself our family is together as it was meant to be. I cried as soon as the elevator began its decent to the main entrance and I knew we were free to go. That walk to the door I felt so proud as a mother and so proud to have Simon by my side. Simon and I walked in our door and put the boys next to each other for the first time in 4 weeks and we just held each other and cried as we looked at the little miracles sleeping before our eyes. That is the moment I knew we were all meant to be a family, our family.
Fast forward to today as I sit here and watch the boys sleeping about twice the size they were the day they were both finally home and I cannot help but to be so proud of the little guys. I see them learning about their world one finger and a toe at a time. Each smile they give, coo they make and ounce they gain I am reminded how much they complete our lives.

The boys are 9 weeks old in this picture. (Oliver - left, Elliot - right)
One happy family! (Elliot and Mommy, Daddy and Oliver)
Lola is still trying to figure out where her new brothers came from.




No comments:
Post a Comment